This week's Puzzle Corner salutes classic television. Ready?
Practically everyone knows Sgt. Joe Friday's iconic badge number on Dragnet was 714. But do you know what the badge numbers were for Officers Pete Malloy (Martin Milner) and Jim Reed (Kent McCord) on Adam-12?
IN OTHER WORDS
Until the 1980s, a series still in active production on network television could not send older episodes into syndication under the original series name. With that in mind, do you know what titles the programs listed below presented their reruns under?
01. The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968)
02. Bonanza (1959-1973)
03. Gunsmoke (1955-1975)
We'll reveal all next weekend. But for now, let's go spelunking down to the Batcave and open THE ANSWERS BOX to discover the results of our Batman quiz from the July 21 Puzzle Corner.
01. What is Bruce Wayne's middle name?
While none has officially been given in the comic books, a lot of fans assume it is Thomas, after his father.
02. Batman: The Dark Knight Rises introduces the Robin character into the movie mythos once more. How many Robins have there been in the official comic book continuity?
FIVE. Dick Grayson (now Nightwing); Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Stephanie Brown (but before DC's New 52 continuity) and Damian Wayne.
03. How many ladies besides Anne Hathaway have played Selina Kyle/Catwoman on the big screen?
TWO! Lee Meriwether in the 1966 movie with Adam West and Burt Ward, Michelle Pfeiffer in the 1992 Batman Returns. Halle Berry's Catwoman was named Patience Phillips.
04. What is faithful Alfred's surname?
05. Counting The Dark Knight Rises, how many actors have portrayed Batman on the silver screen, to date?
SEVEN. Lewis Wilson in the 1943 Batman serial; Robert Lowery in the 1949 serial Batman and Robin; Adam West in the 1966 Batman movie; Michael Keaton in 1989's Batman and 1992's Batman Returns; Val Kilmer in 1995's Batman Forever; George Clooney in 1997's Batman and Robin; and Christian Bale in the latest three: Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and 2012's The Dark Knight Rises.